Wednesday, August 21, 2013

New year new grade

This year is all about new for me, new classroom, new grade level (second) and therefore new standards to learn.  The only thing that won't be new are most of my students since I am looping.  (Yay!!)  My nights are currently spent perusing the Virginia Standards of Learning for grade 2.  Unlike the majority of the nation, Virginia does not use Common Core and has created its own criteria, the SOLs.  No, not that kind of SOL.  This one means Standards of Learning.  (Okay, so we might make jokes on occasion.)  Since my school district has a pacing guide for us to follow, I am slowly checking out September and the corresponding SOLs for each week.


I am also working on my day one plans.  I have a tendency to handwrite a lot of things, even if they will eventually be typed.  So here are my day one plans.  They are slowly starting to come together.  I even have sketched ideas of things I want to create for one of my math lessons.  Once the ideas started following, I had to start a Day 2 at the top.


Of course this is still a very rough draft and I am sure it will see many changes before the first day.  Then there is the fact that sometimes I forget to look at it on the first day because it is so hectic and time flies by!  I usually have WAY more things planned that could ever fit into a normal day.  It is always better to have too much planned than not enough!

So I have some lesson plans going and am learning all my new 2nd grade material.  The big question now is who's going to cut out all my laminating!?!




No comments:

Post a Comment