Wednesday, January 22, 2014

New Year's Resolution

#1 - Get my blogging caught up!  That is a big task, but since tomorrow will be my second consecutive snow day I should be able to get a head start!


This is what I woke up to this morning!  For a Michigan girl, this is nothing, but here in Virginia it is enough to close down school for at least two days!


My kids were super excited to get outside to play!  It was still very cold, but that did not deter them at all.  We all had a blast this morning!

Okay, so now I need to rewind all the way back to late September/early October.  We were busy with everything magnets.  My students loved experimenting with the magnetic field and anything that might have a chance of sticking to the magnet!



Here they were seeing if the items in their bags were magnetic or not.  They first had to record their predictions, then test it and record their results.  They loved everything with magnets and were constantly coming up with items to test throughout the unit.

A couple of weeks later we were reviewing the types of sentences we had learned so far this school year.  I loved this great idea from Amy Lemons over at Step into Second Grade.  She has this fabulous packet called Strengthen Your Sentences in her TpT store.  I loved her punctuation cards and example sentences.  I copied the punctuation cards in different colors (yellow periods, blue question marks and green exclamation marks) and we did a group activity so I could quickly assess their understanding.  I put the example sentences on the Promethean board and students held up the punctuation they would use.


My smarties even picked out a couple sentences and discussed how the sentence could have either a period or an exclamation mark.  Then we practiced reading the sentence both ways.

We also had a school-wide reading day where we paired up with a fourth grade class to partner read a bit.  It was so much fun to see all the students so engaged while READING!  Love it!



Whew!  I will end my lengthy post there, but will be working to get caught up with some more posts soon!





No comments:

Post a Comment